Monday, March 12, 2007

In memory of the path not traveled

As I reach the five year mark with my present position, I have had a chance to reflect on many things.

When I was very young, I was undecided on what I wanted to do with my life. I went through the usual stages of wanting to be a Fireman, a Policeman, a Doctor, etc... But under it all I had always had a love for animals.

Nowadays I can honestly say that I have one regret, and that is that I did not become a Veterinarian. That is not to say that I do not like what I do, because I do enjoy my job, but I do not think that it gives me the same sense of accomplishment that being a Vet.

I know that at almost 40, someone with more drive could probably still go to school and become a vet with several years left to practice, but I guess I am a wimp.

I know that there is really no way for me to go back to school now, for two reasons. 1. Money... While I would not consider myself poor, I have no way of going to school and supporting myself and my wife if I were to return to school full time. 2. Location... my town really has no place to go to school to become a Vet... I would have to relocate or commute in order to go to school. Needless to say, it is not happening any time soon.

So... not being able to become a Vet, I do what I can otherwise. I donate money to worthy causes that can help animals. In fact my wife and I have three dogs, and all of them are rescue dogs. They all came to us as homeless or needy dogs.

If you are a vet, or are becoming one, then you have my respect. You provide a service that is second only to that of Doctors that practice human medicine. In reality there is not much difference between the two, but with animals, you are helping something that cannot communicate what hurts and why.

For those of you who are not vets, but would like to help other programs, then please follow the attached links:

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
Hearts United for Animals

No comments: