Tuesday, April 18, 2006

An Addiction Divine

What is your addiction??

There once was a time when coffee was old hat. It is what your mother and father drank at the morning breakfast table, or after dinner.

These days, with the help of such storefronts as Starbucks, Supreme Bean and the like, coffee is as popular as soda and tea. It is not just the drink of choice for adults anymore either, you see all sorta of people ordering drinks there from all ages.

One occasion that stands out for me is when I was in Monterey on business, I went to a Starbucks... the one in the Del Monte Center, for those of you that know the area, and I saw a kid... maybe about 10 or 12 years old, and order a Cafe Mocha with an extra shot. This floored me... I was not aware that coffee drinks like this were that popular with kids. So... being the kind of guy I am... I went and asked the "Barista" about this. She told me that there are several kids that come in.

What do you think? Should kids be allowed to order coffee drinks? I mean, when I was a kid, I would never have considered ordering a coffee. I had tasted it once, but at the time I thought it was disgusting. Yet my father and mother could always be found with a cup of coffee and a cigarette after dinner and pretty much the same for breakfast... but I did not care for coffee at all... that is until I joined the Marine Corps. In addition to various other things, they trained me to like Coffee. I especially enjoyed the coffee at the end of the day, when the big urn had been sitting all day and that last little bit of coffee was in the bottom of the urn... you had to tilt the urn a little to get that last little bit out. Oooh Yeah!

Me? When I order my coffee at Starbucks, I ordered something called the Triple Red-eye... This is basically a very strong coffee and three shots of espresso. Let me put an amendment to that... I DID order this until just recently when my doctor politely told me to lay off the coffee... especially after a blood pressure of 140/110. So these days I am ordering decaf... and I am almost through the withdrawals.

So, again, what is your take on children being allowed to order these coffee drinks, and what do YOU order when you order coffee?

No comments: